WomanSafeHealth offers a number of services that specifically address a woman’s emotional and psychological needs, including individual psychotherapy sessions. We offer coordination of care with in-house physicians Elizabeth Shadigian, MD and Marnie Burkman, MD and/or psychiatrists and/or primary care physicians, and midwives.
Adult Integrative Psychiatry
Your Integrative Psychiatry Visit with Marnie Burkman, MD
I believe that the health and balance of all systems of the body, mind, emotions and spirit are interconnected, and personal health is interconnected with the Earth and community in which you live. Instead of a “one-size-fits-all” approach to enhancing mental health, together we will develop a treatment plan that takes into consideration your uniqueness and all the levels that make up your total health. You will be offered education, guidance and direct therapeutic interventions that all strive to help you learn about yourself, find balance, heal and maintain wellness.
At your visit, a blend of evidence-based conventional, complementary and alternative approaches will be incorporated based on your needs. Rather than only treating the symptoms of mental health imbalances, we will explore and address root causes. These may include physical/emotional/spiritual traumas, nutritional or hormonal imbalances, genetic polymorphisms, toxic exposures, relationship losses, lifestyle stressors and learned beliefs and habits from childhood that no longer serve you. I honor and support this step you are taking towards deeper health and well-being.
- Functional Medicine
- Assessment/treatment for nutritional deficiencies, amino acid and hormonal imbalances, digestive issues, toxic exposures and food allergies that impact mental health
- Careful medication treatment, if indicated
- Pharmacogenetic testing to help select the right medication
- Guidance for simplifying multiple medication regimens
- Safely tapering off medication that is no longer needed
- Meridian Therapies such as EFT, energy medicine and medical acupuncture
- Eye-Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Trauma Releasing Exercises
- Insight-Oriented Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
- Supportive Therapy
- Emotional/Physical Self-Regulation Therapy
- Guided Imagery
- Relaxation Training
- HeartMath Biofeedback
- Alpha-Stim Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation
- Integrative “Second Opinion” Consultations
Holistic Care For:
- Mood swings
- Trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Sleep issues
- Relationship issues
- Attention and concentration issues
- Life transitions
- Health issues with a psychological or stress component
Marnie is not able to see clients who may need a higher level of care, such as those who are actively suicidal, homicidal, have untreated substance addiction, active anorexia, have needed psychiatric hospitalization in the past year or who need a legal evaluation for disability, custody, or court-ordered treatment.
Holistic Psychotherapy with Andrea Hill, LLMSW
Holistic psychotherapy offers a pathway to healing, integration, stress management and personal growth using an approach that addresses the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual person as a whole. Many of us move through our days overwhelmed and/or stressed to the degree that our basic functioning is negatively affected or even impaired. We may feel “stuck” in a personal or professional relationship or with a recurring problem and are in need of a neutral support system to help make sense of these challenges. Andrea utilizes motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioral therapy, EMDR, breathwork and mindfulness to provide support, meet goals and improve relationships with ourselves and others.
Are You Considering Psychotherapy?
Many women find psychotherapy helpful when stress overpowers the enjoyment of their lives:
- Are you having too many sleepless nights?
- Does guilt or anxiety rule your day?
- Have you forgotten how to take pleasure in the small things?
- Do you often feel stuck or trapped?
- Do you feel uninspired or have you lost your passion for life?
- Did you have an event or relationship that still makes you doubt yourself?
- Do you hate your body?
If you answered ‘yes’ to many of these questions, psychotherapy may be an option for you.
Psychotherapy may effectively address many conditions, including the following:
Is Psychotherapy Right For You?
How do you know when it is time to reach out for professional, psychological support? Many women act as primary caretakers for friends and loved ones but let self-care slide away. Maintaining health is a balancing act, an important one that is taken seriously at WomanSafeHealth. Choices are faced daily about how to spend time, give time to others and when to accept nurturing from others. Psychotherapy can help set these boundaries.
In addition to Holistic Psychotherapy, Andrea has received advanced training in Therapeutic Breathwork, a form of breathing meditation. This can be used to support body awareness, relaxation/stress reduction, trauma integration, creativity and spiritual insight.
Andrea also offers Wellness Coaching, providing a model of life-balance and strengths-based reflection in order for you to discover and articulate your own personal wellness values and specific, measurable goals. Once these are defined, you can decide how much phone, email or in-person support you would like to help you follow through.
- Panic Attacks
- Chronic Pain
- Relationship Concerns
- Parenting Issues
- Life Transitions
- Eating Disorders/ Body Image Issues
- Effects of Abuse
- Coping with Chronic or Acute Illness
- Grief Support
- Sexual Concerns
- Trauma Recovery
- Childbearing Issues
- Fears and Phobias
- Employment issues
- Couples therapy
- Separation issues
- Child and parent family issues including step-parent and adolescent issues
- Attention deficit disorder and ADHD
- Women currently being battered and/or want help getting out?
- Sex therapy
- Identity issues
- Spiritual concerns
- Mindfulness and behavioral techniques
- Coping/confronting with harassments
WomanSafeHealth offers several opportunities for clients to give and receive support, make connections and learn from multiple perspectives.
Trauma Recovery Support Group
A facilitated 8-session support group for women, gender nonconforming and trans people currently working on issues related to trauma.